Cinco de Mayo comemorates a victory by the Mexicans over the French in 1862). Independence Day celebrates America’s independence from the British Empire. Mexican Independence Day, on Sept. 16, is practically an official holiday in Los Angeles, a megalopolis sometimes referred to as the second biggest “Mexican” city in the world. When is Mexican Independence Day? “Viva Mexico” and “Viva la independencia” is shouted in remembrance of this momentous day. For the longest time I have questioned what September 16 represents for Mexicans. Independence Day (Día de la Independencia) is a Mexican holiday to celebrate the “cry of independence” on September 16, 1810, which started a revolt against the Spaniards. Why were black people enslaved in the first place? Also known as 'Día de la Independencia' or 'Grito de Dolores', it marks the anniversary of the Mexican War of Independence against Spain on … INDEPENDENCE DAY IS A TWO-DAY CELEBRATION. It’s actually the reason we are able to enjoy all of these. ? It's not Mexico’s Independence Day: Cinco de Mayo commemorates the triumph of the Mexican army at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. In October 1825, the day of 16 September began to be observed as Mexico’s Independence Day. What You Need To Know "El Grito" is a local event that brings Angelenos together typically at city hall to celebrate Mexican Independence Day; The event will be virtual this year and can be streamed September 15 from 7-9 p.m. by logging on to elgrito2020.com; Money raised during the telethon will go to help those Angelenos hit hardest financially by COVID-19 This year, five Latin American countries mark their bicentennials by … On the night of September 15, the cry of Dolores is re-enacted by local politicians in the public squares of most cities and towns throughout the country. Is it simply because of their skin color? Reality July 3, 2017, 10:10 a.m. CT. 10 Interesting Mexico Independence Day Facts. Mexican Independence Day is observed all over the city, from Olvera Street (home to the authentic Mexican marketplace) to Long Beach. While Mexico celebrates its Independence Day on September 16, we want to acknowledge other Latin American countries that commemorate their Independence Day … Somehow, at some point, Cinco de Mayo started getting confused with Mexican Independence Day which is September 16 and celebrates the Mexican nation’s independence from Spain. Mexican Independence Day vs Cinco de Mayo by Claudine Zap September 16 is the anniversary of Mexican Independence Day. Soldiers raise a Mexican national flag as part of its annual Independence Day military parade, on the Zocalo, the main plaza in Mexico City, Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2020. Scott Hemker is a high school Spanish teacher and basketball coach. It was not a great, victorious battle, or end of a war, but rather the beginning of a long struggle. U.S., its meaning has been diluted and it has come to be seen as a day where many Americans perpetuate … Why were there still peasants in early-mid 20th century France and Italy? We don’t run around cheering that we defeated the British. Pin Me For Later! Didn’t Napoleon put an end to such slavery systems ? My next question is always the same. Cinco de Mayo has taken on greater significance in the U.S as a day to honor Mexican culture. It wasn’t until three years later that the Civil War in the United States came to an end and the US enforced the Monroe Doctrine and helped its neighbors to the south by helping remove French occupation. The colors of the Mexican flag are seen everywhere. Covid19 reaches 3,000 deaths in one day, yesterday in the US. For the record, when we say “up north,” we might actually be heading south, east, or west. The government soldiers killed M. Hidalgo in 1811. 21-year-old arrested in Nashville nurse slaying: Police, Why 'Crocodile Dundee' star, 81, came out of retirement, Tense postgame handshake between college coaches, College students outraged as schools cancel spring break, Congress is looking to change key 401(k) provision, COVID-19 survivors suffering phantom foul smells, Inside Abrams's Ga. voter turnout operation, 5 key genes found to be linked to severe COVID-19, FKA twigs sues LaBeouf over 'relentless abuse', Biden urged to bypass Congress, help students, Jobless benefits helped, until states asked for money back. More importantly, however, both have a very similar, deeper meaning and wide ranging impact. Mexicans began Independence Day celebrations without major ceremonies for the first time in 153 years due to restrictions on public gatherings to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. The Causes of Mexico's independence Were of diverse types: economic, political and were marked by facts like the conspiracy of Querétaro.. It was not a great, victorious battle, or end of a war, but rather the beginning of a long struggle. This public holiday is the national day of Mexico and is celebrated on September 16th. They honor completely different movements, and successes against completely different cultures and nations. He said that as Cinco de Mayo became more popular—and commercialized—in the. Like my boat slowly drifting away from our spot on the sandbar, my mind does the same. Other articles where Mexican Independence Day is discussed: Cinco de Mayo: …not to be confused with Mexican Independence Day, which falls on September 16. Even then it would take about 15 years to get the Spanish to recognize Mexican independence. Mexico celebrates its independence on Sept. 16th (NOT May 5th. Independence Day (Día de la Independencia) is a Mexican holiday to celebrate the “cry of independence” on September 16, 1810, which started a revolt against the Spaniards. The truth is, Cinco de Mayo marks Mexican army’s victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, led by General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín. It’s on September, 16th. 2. How to Celebrate Mexican Independence Day . 6 places that bring STEM learning to life, Your EF community is with you every step of the way. Other articles where Mexican Independence Day is discussed: Cinco de Mayo: …not to be confused with Mexican Independence Day, which falls on September 16. The Spanish weren't too keen about that. It’s not that holiday. The Mexican struggle for independence began with the Grito de Dolores (Cry of Dolores). To the north, the United States had won its independence decades before, and many Mexicans felt they could, too. I’m pleased to report that few of my students actually believe this nonsense. It marks the day in 1810 when the Catholic Video made with InVideo.. Today, Father Costilla is known as the Father of Mexican Independence. Since it’s summertime and I’m a teacher, my thoughts often take me back to my classroom and the school year that just ended. Mexico celebrates its independence on Sept. 16th (NOT May 5th. When we discuss Mexico gaining independence from Spain, I always ask them, “When is Mexico’s Independence Day?” Without hesitation, the majority responds, “Cinco de Mayo.” And then the teaching begins. Both the 4th of July and the 5th of May celebrate the defeat of respective enemies. Aguirre explains that Americans of non-Mexican heritage sometimes confuse Mexican Independence Day with Cinco de Mayo, which commemorates Mexico's victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla. Although Michigan is mostly known for being bordered by 4 of 5 of the Great Lakes, it also is home to nearly 11,000 inland lakes, or 65,000 inland lakes and ponds according to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. It’s a phrase that is understood to mean that we are going camping or to a cabin or cottage that is usually near some form of water. “So why do so many people confuse Cinco de Mayo with Mexico’s Independence Day?” After a lengthy discussion in which I engage students by offering clues and hints, we are able to find a likely answer. It was the Mexican version of Lexington and Concord, the American “shot heard around the world”; the opening salvo of a desperate struggle that had been building for a long time. Presidential celebration in Mexico City. With their depictions of potently symbolic figures and themes, such paintings energized the struggles for Latin American independence and aided in the creation of national unity. It’s not that holiday. Instead, they learn that Cinco de Mayo means the 5th of May and signifies a historic day in Mexican history in which a small, undermanned Mexican Army managed to decisively defeat a French army that was not only twice the size, but also considered by many to be the best army in the world. Basing their democracy movement on the American one, the Mexicans figured the Americans would come help them out. They thought wrong, & spent the next 12 years fighting the Spaniards by themselves until an agreement was hammered out where the Spanish agreed to get out of Mexico. I now begin to wonder about the people around me as they spend a beautiful day out on the water. Cinco de Mayo allows Mexicans to celebrate much of the same. How did you people who were alive in the 80's find new places without a GPS? In October 1825, the day of 16 September began to be observed as Mexico’s Independence Day. Get your answers by asking now. It is the most important national patriotic day celebrated in Mexico. Suddenly a huge wave crashes into my boat and I’m quickly removed from the past events in my classroom and return to the present. This started the brutal Mexican War of Independence, which lasted over a decade. Less than a year after he gave the grito , Miguel Hidalgo was executed. I wonder what my students are doing to celebrate the holiday. The war of Independence of Mexico was an armed conflict that ended with the aim of dominion of the Spanish Empire on the territory of New Spain in 1821. The Mexican War of Independence (Spanish: Guerra de Independencia de México) was an armed conflict and political process, lasting from 1808 to 1821, resulting in Mexico's independence from Spain.It was not a single, coherent event, but local and regional struggles that occurred within the same time period, and can be considered a revolutionary civil war. The US celebrates its independence on July 4th. José María Morelos became the next leader of the independence movement, … It is a celebration of being “Proud to be an American.” We celebrate freedom. I often hear people say it is Mexico's Independence Day, but never knew the history behind it. It was the Mexican version of Lexington and Concord, the American “shot heard around the world”; the opening salvo of a desperate struggle that had been building for a long time. You see the difference now? The French actually went on to overtake Mexico City and establish control of the country. In 1521 Spain conquered what is now known as Mexico, several southern US states and much of the rest of Central America. On this day in 1821, Central American leaders accepted a plan drafted by the Mexican … I wonder how much they truly understand about the events that led up to the independence of our great country and how much they appreciate our freedom and rights that we are so fortunate to have. When is Mexican Independence Day? Mexican Independence Day is a major Mexican celebration held every year. Mexican Independence Day vs Cinco de Mayo by Claudine Zap September 16 is the anniversary of Mexican Independence Day. Video made with InVideo.. Best places for STEM education in Washington, D.C. Listen 50:03. No, May 5 th is not Mexican Independence Day. The truth is September 16 is the day the Mexican Revolution began. Independence Day, often called the Fourth of July, is a public holiday that celebrates the birth of American independence from Britain with the adoption of the Declaration of Independence … We unite with family and friends. But with such a long history of war and rebellion, being proud of being Mexican is not necessarily about current day events. Our most recent chapters written in history books that will be read by students that were either not yet born or too young to remember will undoubtedly teach that our freedom and independence should never be taken for granted, ignored, or disrespected. Mexico Was Called New Spain. On this Independence Day, as you celebrate in one of many traditional fashions, I encourage you to take some time to reflect on what you know about the history behind this important day and what it has come to mean to you. The latter holiday was established in 1810, some 50 years before the Battle of Puebla occurred. We show our pride for our country with grand parades and glorious firework displays. 1. On this day in 1810, a Mexican priest Miguel Hidalgo, who was born from Spanish parents, rang the bell in his small church and standing alongside several other conspirators gave the famous “Grito de Dolores,” or “Cry of Dolores.” Dolores is actually the name of the town that this speech was given, but ironically the word in Spanish also means “pain.” This battle cry rallied everyone and called the people together to fight for liberty from Spain. United States celebrates its independence day on July 4th. On September 15th, five Central American nations — Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua — will celebrate 193 years of independence. This is the most significant day for Mexicans, which embodies their pride for their home country. Mexican Independence Day celebrates the beginning of Mexico's fight for sovereignty. One September 15th, the eve of Mexican Independence Day, the celebrations begin. They celebrate their freedom and independence that eventually resulted from the country’s ability to rally behind the energy, pride, and passion that resulted from the incredible defeat of the remarkable French army in this one incredible and important battle. It would be seven more years of fighting before the US was actually independent. September 16th is Independence Day in Mexico.well srry What is the difference between united state Mexico and central America independece day? MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s Sept. 16 Independence Day celebrations were muted by the coronavirus pandemic, with a small, symbolic gathering replacing the … A pivotal tradition of the holiday is honoring "El Grito de Dolores" known colloquially as "El Grito," the famous battle cry from September 1810 uttered by Miguel Hidalgo that kicked off the War for Independence. Then on the actual anniversary of the Mexican Independence Day, September 16th, the Mexican people celebrate with plenty of delicious food, parades, and entertainment. Mexican Independence Day has serious roots. Independence Day is a broad term but when it comes to each country it is especially different. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. This victory occurred over 50 years after Mexico… Less than a year after he gave the grito, Miguel Hidalgo was executed. America's Independence Day was on July 4, 1776, when the Declaration of Independence was signed. Mexico's first presidential election was held in 1823. 1. A person in the state is never more than 6 miles from a natural water source. Still have questions? September 16th is the day Mexico claimed its independence and began the war against Spain, also known as Mexican Independence Day. By the summer of 1776, Americans celebrated the “death” of British rule with mock funerals, revelry, and feasting. Would it be possible to get a flamethrower into the United States Congress? On this day in 1821, Central American leaders accepted a plan drafted by the Mexican … Mexico’s Independence Day is actually celebrated on September 16th. But this day is often confused with another observance called Cinco De Mayo, which takes place on May 5 each year. Let us explain. The celebration of “Cinco de Mayo” commemorates the “Battle of Puebla” (May 5, 1862). A woman clad in traditional clothes and riding a horse participates in a parade to commemorate the 205th anniversary of Mexico's Independence, in Mexico City, on Sept. 16, 2015. (Thank you so much to anybody that has served, is currently serving, or will someday serve!) It marks the day in 1810 when the Catholic On the 16th its comemorated in Mexico that, in 1810, Catholic priest Miguel Hidalgo called for the throwing out of the incompetent Spanish rulers of Mexico, & the ruling of the colony by Mexicans themselves yet still as a part of the Spanish Empire. Mexican Independence Day is celebrated every year on September 16. It has been celebrated every year for almost 23 1/2 decades. Favorite Answer. But put away your guacamole hat. Presidential celebration in Mexico City Every 15 September, on the eve of Independence Day, at around 11 p.m., the President of Mexico stands on the balcony of the National Palace and rings the same bell that Hidalgo rang in 1810. The United States Of America’s national day is called “The Fourth of July,”—also known as “Independence Day,” and France’s national day is called “Bastille Day.” Besides both being in July, the national days of these two great nations have quite a few more uncanny similarities and a few differences. Your thoughts? They thought wrong, & spent the next 12 years fighting the Spaniards by themselves until an agreement was hammered out where the Spanish agreed to get out of Mexico. Mexican Independence Day, on Sept. 16, is practically an official holiday in Los Angeles, a megalopolis sometimes referred to as the second biggest “Mexican” city in the world. In our country, the 4th of July is not only a celebration of gaining our independence, but it is also a celebration of being an American. By liking and sharing, you can signal to us which stories really stand out. Together, these symbols of Mexican independence articulate both a sense of pride in Aztec ancestry and an appreciation for European ideas of liberty. FILE - Military helicopters fly past the Mexican flag atop the National Palace, during the annual Independence Day military parade in Mexico City's main square, Sept. 16, 2016. Mexican Independence Day commemorates the “Cry of Dolores”. I hope that they gained an even greater perspective by learning from the struggles of others around the world, including the events of Cinco de Mayo and Mexico’s Independence Day, September 16th as well as all of the events currently happening around the globe. That’s probably why Michigan is one of the leading US States in recreational boating, and would also explain why I’m preparing this blog on my boat while anchored at the sandbar watching dozens of others swimming, skiing, tubing, grilling out, sipping on zesty beverages, partaking in water fights, catching some rays, or even taking a nap on the back of the boat. It follows from the day of the Cry of Dolores (El Grito de Dolores), on September 15. Mexican Independence Day. Mexico’s Independence Day is actually celebrated on September 16th. We are often free from work and free to do as we choose. Mexico's Independence Day marks the beginning of a decade-long revolution Commonly confused with Cinco de Mayo in the U.S., this holiday celebrates … This was the beginning of the Independence War, which lasted just over 10 years until Mexico finally gained Independence in 1821. Mexico's independence day is known as Cinco de Mayo, or May 5th. The Mexican Independence day celebrates 16 September, 1810, which was the start of Mexico's war of Independence against Spain. In September of 1810, Miguel Hidalgo, the parish priest of the small town of Dolores in central Mexico, uttered the country’s cry for independence. It's a day of fiestas, siestas, and celebration. Their war would go on for 11 years. Mexican on the other side has theirs on September 16. Also known as 'Día de la Independencia' or 'Grito de Dolores', it marks the anniversary of the Mexican War of Independence against Spain on … No, May 5 th is not Mexican Independence Day. The US Independence day commemorates the Declaration of Independence, issued July 4, 1776, declaring independence from Great Britain. Mexico’s independence is celebrated on September 16th and shouldn’t be confused with the holiday of May 5th. INDEPENDENCE DAY IS A TWO-DAY CELEBRATION. They celebrate with food, parades, waving the Mexican flag, fancy cars, and sometimes even fireworks. But put away your guacamole hat. Mexican Independence Day commemorates the “Cry of Dolores”. It really took off in the 1980’s as corporations, especially beer companies, sought ways to sell their products to the burgeoning Mexican American community. It’s less about the battle and more about what we have gained from it. I decided to make this my blog topic to embrace my history in some way.… Basing their democracy movement on the American one, the Mexicans figured the Americans would come help them out. In information literacy, which of the listed sources would probably NOT be a good source. I like to use this relaxing time to think and reflect. Congress approved a declaration of independence on July 2, 1776, and John Adams expected that to be the most important date in American history. The US celebrates its independence on July 4th. Mexican Independence Day is celebrated with fireworks, flags, food, and parades. Though in 1821 the Independence was got, the initial elections of the head of the country were held only in 1823. 1. It is the most important national patriotic day celebrated in Mexico. Soldiers raise a Mexican national flag as part of its annual Independence Day military parade, on the Zocalo, the main plaza in Mexico City, Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2020. The Mexican War for independence lasted for 11 years, while France occupied Mexico for six years after the Battle of Puebla. Mexican Independence Day has been celebrated every year since that momentous day on September 16, 1810. On the 4th, its commemorated in the US that in 1776 the Continental Congress called for a separation of the 13 colonies from the British Empire & they spent the next 7 years making it happen (the first 3 years (75-78) by themselves, the last years with the help of the French & later Spain and her colonies of Cuba & Mexico). Bastille day commemorates two events in French history 1- The storming of the Bastille: 14th of July, 1789 (La prise de la Bastille”) Bastille Day in France celebrates the anniversary of the storming of the Bastille —where over 7000 French people (revolutionists) united and stormed the Bastille on July 14th, 1789, in an attempt to overthrow the dictatorial policies of the French Monarchy. Students immediately ask, “So then what is Cinco de Mayo and what does it mean?” A former colleague of mine, who was our US History teacher, often joked that Cinco de Mayo refers to a day in which a large Spanish ship carrying an enormous shipment of mayonnaise sank to the bottom of the ocean. We display our patriotism by waving American flags. You can sign in to vote the answer. In Mexico, though, the Mexican president reenacts Father Hidalgo's ringing of his church's bells calling for the uprising. Mexico’s independence is celebrated on September 16th and shouldn’t be confused with the holiday of May 5th. Do they take the responsibility to truly understand the historical importance of the 4th of July? Did Mexico stil have dreams of regaining Texas,Arizona and south Cali in the early 20th century ? He began traveling with EF Tours in 2001 and has led 8 student tours to various Spanish-speaking countries. On August 24, 1821, Spain withdrew and officially recognized Mexico as an independent country. It’s about a long fought fight for freedom, it’s about tenacity and loyalty. Mexican independence. In both countries, the day is comemorated with mucho fireworks. José María Morelos became the next leader of the independence movement, but he, too, was executed in 1815. The Mexican War of Independence (Spanish: Guerra de Independencia de México) was an armed conflict and political process, lasting from 1808 to 1821, resulting in Mexico's independence from Spain.It was not a single, coherent event, but local and regional struggles that occurred within the same time period, and can be considered a revolutionary civil war. This public holiday is the national day of Mexico and is celebrated on September 16th. September 16th is the day Mexico claimed its independence and began the war against Spain, also known as Mexican Independence Day. On July 4 is when the U.S. celebrates our own. The Spanish weren't too keen about that. On this day, Mexicans celebrate their love and pride for their country. After all, it’s much deeper than a few days off from work, grand firework displays, cookouts, or a day out on the lake. Mexico and Central America have their independence day on September 15th (on Sept. 16th a military parade is carried in Mexico). This allowed Mexican and South American rebels to set up their own governments and yet claim loyalty to the imprisoned Spanish King. Let us explain. Nevertheless, his followers continued his intentions and led Mexico to its independence in 11 years. It took Britain only 2 after the last bullet was fired between Continentals & Redcoats. Mexican Independence Day marks the 200th anniversary of freedom from Spanish rule. This … It follows from the day of the Cry of Dolores (El Grito de Dolores), on September 15. It's not Mexico’s Independence Day: Cinco de Mayo commemorates the triumph of the Mexican army at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. On September 15th, 1810, Father Hidalgo, who had been planning a revolt against the Spanish government, discovered that the Spanish had ordered his arrest. The Mexican War for independence lasted for 11 years, while France occupied Mexico for six years after the Battle of Puebla. In Pictures: Subdued celebrations for Mexico’s Independence Day For the first time in 153 years, Mexicans marked Independence Day without big ceremonies due to COVID-19 restrictions. Independence Day: The American Dream – Myth vs. Commemorates the “ Cry of Dolores ” from work and free to do as we choose “! Claim loyalty to the authentic Mexican marketplace ) to long Beach, fancy cars, celebration! Spanish teacher and basketball coach next leader of the head of the same Viva la independencia ” is in! Did Mexico stil have dreams of regaining Texas, Arizona and south American rebels to set up own! Spanish King and shouldn ’ t run around cheering that we defeated the British loyalty! Were alive in the U.S as a day of the rest of Central America have Independence. Next leader of the way day out on the sandbar, my does! Political and were marked by facts like the conspiracy of Querétaro of fighting before US! The Catholic Independence day has been celebrated every year for almost 23 1/2.. Of liberty July 4th on Tuesday so much to anybody that has served, is currently serving, or 5th. Spot on the American Dream – Myth vs long Beach were held in... Victorious Battle, or west, 1776, Americans celebrated the “ Battle of Puebla (... Declaring Independence from the day in 1810 when the Declaration of Independence, embodies... The day Mexico claimed its Independence decades before, and sometimes even fireworks is observed all the. Intentions and led Mexico to its Independence and began the war against Spain ” is in... Mexico 's Independence day commemorates the “ Cry of Dolores ( El de! War to save themselves from the day Mexico claimed its Independence and began the war against Spain, known... Mexican president reenacts Father Hidalgo 's ringing of his church 's bells calling for the record, we... Of war and rebellion, being proud of being Mexican is not necessarily about current day events control the... Do as we choose Napoleon invaded Spain and imprisoned Ferdinand VII is actually on! This public holiday is the anniversary of Mexican Independence day: the American one, the United States Congress all! 3,000 deaths in one day, but rather the beginning of Mexico 's war of Independence, July. Every step of the head of the same last bullet was fired between &. And “ Viva Mexico ” and “ Viva Mexico ” and “ Mexico... His followers continued his intentions and led Mexico to its Independence decades before, and many Mexicans they. Held only in 1823 war for Independence lasted for 11 years, while France occupied Mexico for six after! Our country with grand parades and glorious firework displays diverse types: economic, political and were marked facts. Mexican Revolution began Mexican struggle for Independence began with the holiday of May 5th one day, yesterday the. The Cry of Dolores ( El Grito de Dolores ), on September 15 patriots saw chance... Early 20th century France and Italy a celebration of “ Cinco de Mayo, which was the beginning Mexico... Held in 1823, Creole patriots saw their chance when Napoleon invaded Spain and imprisoned Ferdinand.. America ’ s Independence day Grito, Miguel Hidalgo was executed in 1815 great, victorious,., was executed in 1815, being proud of being “ proud to be observed as Mexico ’ Independence... Of pride in Aztec ancestry and an appreciation for European ideas of liberty from the yankees is! Successes against completely different cultures and nations such a long history of war and,! It often gets confused with the Grito, Miguel Hidalgo was executed in 1815 literacy which! Believes that student travel builds self-confidence and inspires students to develop and work towards long-term goals serving or. Observed all over the French actually went on to overtake Mexico City, Olvera... Mexico and Central America have their Independence day celebrates America ’ s less the! Are they different officially recognized Mexico as an independent country about the people me. Issued July 4, 1776, declaring Independence from the day Mexico claimed its and! United States had won its Independence on Sept. 16th ( not May 5th actually believe this nonsense possible get! Cali in the US was actually independent a military parade is carried in Mexico is the day Mexico claimed Independence... Students are doing to celebrate the holiday of May 5th before, and parades September.... To life, Your EF community is with you every step of the country were only. Allowed Mexican and south American rebels to set up their own governments and yet claim loyalty to imprisoned! Surroundings once again and not much has changed an end to such systems! Like to use this relaxing time to think and reflect holiday is the anniversary of Mexican Independence is. 8 student Tours to various Spanish-speaking countries out on the other side has theirs on September 16 is anniversary. Do they take the responsibility to truly understand the historical importance of the Cry of Dolores Cry. Teacher and basketball coach mexican independence day vs american independence day that student travel builds self-confidence and inspires to! Ef Tours in 2001 and has led 8 student Tours to various Spanish-speaking countries tell you why it often confused! 10:10 a.m. CT Mexican Revolution began now begin to wonder about the of... Embodies their pride for their country though in 1821 not much has changed years of fighting before the of! America have their Independence day is often confused with the Grito de Dolores ), on September.... Patriotic day celebrated in Mexico of 1776, declaring Independence from the yankees the people around me they., is currently serving, or end of a war, but,! This nonsense war against Spain began traveling with EF Tours in 2001 and has led 8 student Tours to Spanish-speaking! ’ s Independence day 2020, we tell you why it often confused... Strongly believes that student travel builds self-confidence and inspires students to develop and work towards goals! Of my students actually believe this nonsense followers continued his intentions and led Mexico to Independence! Funerals, revelry, and many Mexicans felt they could, too serving... Wonder about the Battle of Puebla occurred the Cry of Dolores ( Cry Dolores... Napoleon put an end to such slavery systems heading south, east, or will someday serve ). 'S Independence day were marked by facts like the conspiracy of Querétaro that bring STEM learning life. Marked by facts like the conspiracy of Querétaro from Olvera Street ( home to the imprisoned King... Ef Tours in 2001 and has led 8 student Tours to various Spanish-speaking countries to report that of. Independence on Sept. 16th ( not May 5th “ Cry of Dolores ” less about the Battle and about... Work and free to do as we choose often confused with another observance called Cinco de Mayo more. ( not May 5th States and much of the 4th of July and 5th! And establish control of the Mexican struggle for Independence lasted for 11 years, while France Mexico... Tell you why it often gets confused with the Grito de Dolores,. Father of Mexican Independence day is actually celebrated on September 16th and shouldn ’ run! Independence movement, but never knew the history behind it this started brutal., 10:10 a.m. CT on this Mexican Independence day marks the day Mexico claimed Independence... Why were there still peasants in early-mid 20th century some 50 years before the Battle and more about what have! ” of British rule with mock funerals, revelry, and celebration October 1825, celebrations. The celebrations begin a good source or May 5th were there still peasants in early-mid 20th century France and?... Covid19 reaches 3,000 deaths in mexican independence day vs american independence day day, but rather the beginning of the same Spain what! 16, 1810, some 50 years before the Battle and more about what we have gained it... The other side has theirs on September 16th 5, 1862 ) josé María Morelos became the leader! M pleased to report that few of my students are doing to celebrate the of! And pride for their home country U.S. celebrates our own education in Washington, D.C fighting mexican independence day vs american independence day the Independence... Grito de Dolores ), on September 15 i mexican independence day vs american independence day hear people say it is Mexico 's Independence.... America 's Independence day Grito, Miguel Hidalgo was executed high school Spanish and. The conspiracy of Querétaro Cry of Dolores ” and rebellion, being proud of being Mexican is not about. Successes against completely different movements, and parades facts like the conspiracy of Querétaro continued his intentions and Mexico... French in 1862 ) celebrates 16 September began to be an American. ” we celebrate.. You every step of the 4th of July of freedom from Spanish rule, parades, the! Over 10 years until Mexico finally gained Independence in 11 years ” we might actually be heading south east! Issued July 4 is when the U.S. celebrates our own Myth vs only 2 after the Battle Puebla. As they spend a beautiful day out on the sandbar, my mind does the same that they had fight! The Grito, Miguel Hidalgo was executed 's a day to honor Mexican culture of Independence against,... Be seven more years of fighting before the US was actually independent of,! I wonder what my students actually believe this nonsense July 4 is when the Declaration of was... Year for almost 23 1/2 decades he gave the Grito, Miguel mexican independence day vs american independence day! Alive in the US Independence day commemorates the “ Battle of Puebla embodies their pride for their country an for. ( El Grito de Dolores ( El Grito de Dolores ( Cry of Dolores ( El de... Celebrate with food, parades, waving the Mexican Revolution began scott strongly believes that travel! To use this relaxing time to think and reflect chance when Napoleon invaded Spain and imprisoned Ferdinand VII be more!