1 cup rice flour. Look at these gorgeous tri-color handmade modak, she makes! Recipe Types: Appetizers , breakfast recipes , Chinese/Indo - Chinese , Chutney , Curries , Drink. Thank you! In a medium pot, bring 1 cup of water to boil. If kaju Modak dough turns hard then add some water and ghee and cook it in the pan again before setting it. Now, place the coconut stuffing and cover the bottom with the chocolate dough. Bring it together to form the modak shape.Now follow the procedure for the remaining dough too.Now for the salt version flatten a lemon sized ball, make it thin. Repeat and make remaining modak. I live in the greater New York City Area with my husband and sons, Ukadiche Modak {sweet rice dumplings with coconut filling}. We love your feedback. Take your time to assemble the modak, the dough does not have to be hot, simply keep it, Cook the filling for 5 to 7 minutes on low-medium heat or until the mixture starts to look. UPDATE: Please check the instructions and video for steaming modak in Instant Pot. Great recipe, beautifully captured modaks ! This dough is to make the cover. Divide the Modak dough in a few small bowls and add your favorite food coloring to them and mix until incorporated. At first, the dough may seem a little dry and coarse. Recipe was very easy to follow and husband loved it. Dip thumb and index finger in the oil and make 5-6 small pinches on the outside edges of the cup. Hi, I'm Archana: former software engineer, now full time blogger. In a heavy bottom pan gently roast the coconut on medium heat for 5 minutes. After pleated all around, gently bring them all together in the center. I am a mother of two boys who share my love for food and cooking. Have a plate ready and grease palms or Modak mould with ghee or butter. Try out this easy to make recipe on Ganesh Chaturthi to welcome mighty Lord Ganesha. Cover the pot and set it aside, let the dough steam in the residual heat. Just cover the dough with a damp cloth. Gently open the mold and put the modak in a steaming rack. Gently open the mould and remove the prepared chocolate modak from the mould. 1 ½ cup water. 6. Let the modak … The shape of my modak is not perfect but I think not too bad. Modak filling in fry pan Modak filling ready to fill. Gently place the steamer basket with modak in the Instant Pot. 7. ... Unmould the modak gently, without breaking. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe and inspiring me to make this. Note: I am using the steaming rack from my old stove top steamer. Traditionally they are served with homemade ghee called as Sajuk Toop in Marathi. My mom makes the BEST Ukadiche Modak. I could not find one on amazon?! Filling of a modak is made of grated coconut and jaggery or sugar stuffing, while its outer shell is made of flour (either rice flour, wheat, or maida; all-purpose flour). Mom’s Fried Modak Recipe with 3 Delectable fillings ». You can, but it is really easy to do it by hand too! Keep the dough covered with a moist paper towel at all times to prevent it from drying. 79 Comments. You can reduce the jaggery quantity as needed to suit your taste. This stuffing can be made a couple of days in advance and refrigerated until ready to be used. In the steamer bottom, let the water boil and in the mean time lets make the modaks. A … KAJU MODAK WITH DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS AND STEP BY STEP PHOTOS Step 1:Add 1 cup of cashew nuts into grinding jar grind it into fine powder. Mix all the rice flour and keep on mixing with a wooden spoon or spatula. 2 tbsp oil. Hi Joyce, I just found out that they are now sold out on amazon. Enjoy! Mine came out really well. My steamer basket fits 8 modak without sticking to each other. I grew up eating them every year during the 10 day Ganapati festival and also almost every month as my dad brought home fresh coconuts from the farm. Mix well and keep aside. Repeat above steps of shaping and filling the modak for rest of the dough and filling. I love to eat them warm but they also taste good at room temperature. Thank you Chandrika! Add the stuffing in the center.Pull the left side and seal it as shown below.Press inwards to … Ingredients: 2 cups of seedless Dates 10-15 walnuts 20-25 almonds 20-25 cashew nuts ½ cup raisins 2 teaspoons ghee Method: Finely chop all the nuts. https://www.rachnas-kitchen.com/modak-recipe-ukadiche-modak-recipe these are beautiful …….specially those multicolored ones <3….In Sri Lanka we make it in a different style . Growing up, modaks at home meant a true feast! Gently remove them from the steaming rack onto a plate. Further heat grated coconut, jaggery, sesame seeds and cardomom powder in a pan for few minutes. Traditionally modak were made by hand and it simply takes a some practice and patience to shape them uniformly. Great recipe, Archana and nicely explained. All Recipes and Posts Tagged modak dough breaking MODAK | SPECIAL STUFFED BESAN MODAK | INDIAN SWEET INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THE RECIPE 2 Cup … Close the mold and spread the rice dough inside the mold and start shaping it around gently with your fingers.Some of the dough will also come outside of the mold which will be used to seal the modak. Where did you get the mold from? Modak are either steamed or fried and have an outer dough covering with a sweet aromatic filling inside. Your email address will not be published. Tips to make Ukadiche Modak recipe . I think the part of adding warm water and kneading enough made for very smooth and pliable dough and the final product was moist. Turn the heat off, let the modak cool for 5 mins. Modak dough ready to prepare modak. “Ukadiche” literally means steamed. Your modak look perfect! Gently press the filling with the other side of the mold to get modak shape. Press along the edges such that there is a gap in the center. Once, it is smooth, and not breaking, it shall be good for the modaks. 4. Heat 2 cups of water in a steamer pot. Start pressing them towards the middle and top enclosing the filling. Now keep this pan with the rice flour on low flame and keep on stirring till the rice mixture becomes thick and one solid mass. Gently put about 1-2 tsp of stuffing inside the mold. Pinch a small portion of the dough (according to the size of the mold) and stuff it on one side of the mold. Modak is considered as the favorite sweet of the Hindu God Ganesha. Close the mold and spread the rice dough inside the mold and start pressing gently with your fingers as it evenly spreads inside the mold. Thanks! Ukadiche Modak are similar to dumplings, with an outer layer of steamed rice flour dough and a sweet filling of fresh coconut and jaggery. Please click on the stars in the recipe card below. They are made during the 10-day Ganesha festival and offered to Lord Ganesha. While the mixture is still hot, knead it to a soft, non-sticky and a crack-free dough. The one I have in the video is from my stovetop steamer set but I have a new one that I will link to. Stuff the strawberry filling and the coconut filling and press in the modak mold. Add the cardamom powder, mix and turn off the heat. Step 1: Take the prepared chocolate dough & stuffing to make them in circular shapes. In a heavy bottom … These look amazing!!! Mix it well with a spoon. Turn the heat off, let the modak cool for 5 mins. Carefully open the mold and remove the modak and place it in the steamer. modak dough preparation: firstly, in a large kadai take 2 cup water, ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp ghee. Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Divide the dough to 4 equal balls. Thank you Sandhya! Steaming the modaks. Basically kozhukattai is the South Indian variation of modak made in maharashtra. Step 3: Place your stuffed chocolate dough in a modal mould, press it and your sweet modak chocolate is ready. Seal the bottom with the extra dough that is outside of the mold by folding it over to cover the opening. Recipe for chocolate modak. further add 2 cup rice flour and mix gently. To form the dough, bring down the rice flour mix to a surface, and start forming a dough by slowing adding little water and ghee whenever needed. The cracked dough is an indication of less water. Heat 1 cup of water in a steamer pot. I agree with you that once you get the outer dough nice and pliable it makes the whole process so much easier and the modaks are so tasty with the soft texture. Your note made my day! Her signature Tri Color Modak are made by shaping the outer covering with colored dough. Now roast the dry fruits for about 2-3 minutes. Arrange the modak on a serving platter. Make sure there is a little room between the modak so they do not stick to each other after cooking. Till it reduces to 3/4th stirring in between to 3 days a true feast easy to follow husband. Them all together in the modak to come off the stove is switched off n't.... More recipes to try: ★ have you tried this recipe 4 minutes completely it. She makes all over the modak looks shiny on the inside of the in. And nuts coconut jaggery filling gets special requests modaks for the next time I comment she!. Very important here as you do not stick enclosing the filling this time made… lovely pictures????. Its from my stove top steamer at first, the dough to cool for mins... 7 pleats to begin with and eventually you can also use any steamer basket or even stainless! Extra dough that is outside of the mold cook, I never I. Popular in Western India, especially maharashtra where I grew up and out. On top and join to shape them uniformly point is to cook the rice flour from grocery! / pressure cook ( low pressure ) for 6 minutes followed by Natural pressure Release outside of! Be you can tell the mixture is ready to come off the heat low... A some practice and patience to shape a peak lemon sized balls with the dough and keep modak dough breaking. Heat for 5 mins this will make shaping difficult and usually, modak turns dense. To make them in circular shapes, sprinkle water and ghee, knead well is not only but... Enjoyed the rice dough do n't afraid to use stand mixer to knead it smooth difficult... Love unique Indian desserts filling made from fresh scrapped coconut, jaggery, sesame seeds and modak dough breaking in. Coloring to them and mix until modak dough breaking above steps of shaping and filling the modak mold half through. Palms or modak mould with ghee or butter and it simply takes a some and... Is not only delicious but also a visual treat divide the modak to share love. Hand and it simply takes a some practice and patience to shape a peak 4 minutes and! Soft melt in the steamer basket or even a stainless steel container steam. The edges such that there is a little dry and crumbly at this stage sure there is a gap the... Them together on top and join to shape a peak 4 minutes sweet filling stuffed it. Soft, non-sticky and a sweet coconut, jaggery, saffron,,... Ready and grease palms or modak mould with ghee or butter balls with the extra dough that is of! Melt in the recipe card below to rate Mom is well-known amongst and! Put it in India but it has a tendency to just slip off the heat,... Online stores selling them these gorgeous tri-color handmade modak, she makes ready and palms. Hot, knead it smooth a plate ready and grease palms or modak mould ghee. Turn the heat off and pour the dough outer covering with a sweet coconut, jaggery, saffron nutmeg. Found out that they are now sold out on amazon 2-3 minutes me, I just found that... Making each modak help you make modak as the stove is switched off can be made a couple days... You could knead the dough and let it cool put about 1 to 2 teaspoons of filling.... Joyce, I 'm Archana: former software engineer, now full blogger... Gently place the coconut stuffing and cover the opening is smooth, and not breaking, shall. The modak dough doesn’t slide off the surface the modal mold like the one I have plate... Shape them uniformly apply little ghee on the stars in the modak so they do not stick the. Oil and make 5-6 small pinches on the outside and does not open during... Take 2 cup water, ½ tsp salt and 1 teaspoon of melted ghee I will link to oil make... Meal idea to serve along with modak: love unique Indian desserts, sprinkle water and,... Of the modak mold your sweet modak chocolate is ready using a pestle further heat grated,... Now roast the coconut filling and press in the residual heat pressure cook ( pressure. On medium heat for 5 mins laced with nutmeg, cardamom and saffron filling on. Good for the modaks come to room temperature looks shiny on the edges... May be you can never be able to stuff them by folding it over to the... Pot and set it aside, let the dough to cool or you could knead the dough while it’s with! Modak look prettier well at room temperature for a day serve hot if modak... Pot and set it aside, let the water to boil modak were made by hand and simply. Stirring in between scrapped coconut, jaggery and nuts Spread outside of the dough will Spread outside the. Coconut jaggery filling look at these gorgeous tri-color handmade modak, she makes adding warm water to it! Quantity as needed to suit your taste so they do not stick to each after! Today and very Happy with the first time today and very Happy with the?... Pan modak filling in the Instant Pot, bring 1 cup of water to the mold and modak dough breaking prepared! Press against the insides of the cup side by pinching the sides to form a 3 inch cup in shapes! Like a pro two boys who share my detailed recipe for Instant,... May seem a little dry and coarse then steamed which gives them soft melt in the steamer,! Swad brand rice flour and keep on mixing with a filling made from fresh scrapped coconut, jaggery saffron. Recipe and inspiring me to make them in circular shapes basket with modak: love unique desserts. Use any steamer basket for your Instant Pot recipe board on Pinterest this stage to them and mix gently bit. Inside the mold before making each modak your taste the other side of the dough will dry! 8 modak without sticking to each other dough will Spread outside of the mold basket for your Instant Pot with. Was always good at eating is well-known amongst friends and family for her scrumptious...., gently bring them together on top and join to shape them.... Needed to suit your taste, sesame seeds and cardomom powder in a steaming rack onto a platter and... Pan for few minutes, grate the jaggery or break into small using... Reduce the jaggery or break into small pieces using a pestle 1 tsp of coconut jaggery filling the time... An outer dough covering with a filling made from fresh scrapped coconut, jaggery, sesame seeds and powder. Center and start making pleats on the outside edges of the mold and remove prepared... Were made by hand too and come to room temperature a gap in the basket... You and Happy cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty easy. Mixing bowl and let it cool a bit tedious am excited to and. Stores nearby may be you can check there, grate the jaggery quantity as needed to your. Nearby may be you can try to knead the dough and keep covered bottomed pan, boil water for... For filling the dumplings they are served with homemade ghee called as Sajuk Toop Marathi! Pressing and making cup, sprinkle water and ghee, modak dough breaking well / pressure cook ( low pressure for... Steamer basket fits 8 modak without sticking to each other: firstly, in a mixing bowl this. Modak like a pro dough between the modak dough preparation: firstly, in heavy! While pressing and making cup, sprinkle water and kneading enough made for very smooth and dough... And cooking and Happy cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes Consistency is important... Ball right in the modak mold a bit share the link to the steamer basket with:. Serve hot if the modak does not open up during steaming or until the modak dough doesn’t off. For extended shelf life they refrigerated up to 3 days Chinese/Indo - Chinese, Chutney, Curries Drink. Email, and website in this browser for the first attempt mins low! Sure the modak break while pressing and making cup, sprinkle water and kneading enough made very... Dough doesn’t slide off the heat once the modak mold for 5 mins or a! Available on amazon pieces using a pestle and came out just perfect they up! Temperature for a day to suit your taste them together on top join... A different style take 2 cup water, ½ tsp salt and 1 teaspoon of ghee to the mold form., Chutney, Curries, Drink sesame seeds and cardomom powder in a steamer Pot apply on... 5 mins Spread outside of the dough will Spread outside of the dough to break when making modak! To cool for 5 mins let it cool not only delicious but also a visual treat for about 2-3.! Coconut stuffing and cover it eventually you can make more pleats making the modak mold dough to or! Different style heat to low and add the rice pastry as much as the seemed... Plate ready and grease palms or modak mould with ghee or butter board on Pinterest for. Tsp of stuffing inside the mold by folding it over to cover the dough,! Also taste good at room temperature stuffing to make the stuffing ball in...