Ready to become a caramelized onion pro? Hello delicious. I use bone broth, as I do for the vast majority of soups on this blog. I’d not heard of souping but I’d most definitely rather do that than juice! What a great idea to pair caramelized onions with potatoes. Welcome to Our Salty Kitchen! … Put onions, fennel and garlic (if using) into a small, non-stick roasting tin; add olive oil and toss to coat vegetables. Bone broth adds healthy fat, additional nutrients, and a velvety texture (thanks gelatin). Rest assured, we only endorse products we own and truly love! Method. It’s a little thick after being defrosted (or chilled in general), but you can enjoy it as is, or add a little water or broth to thin to preference. Saute the onions over medium heat, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until the onions soften, then brown, then caramelize. DIRECTIONS. Ascent of the Stag, tall and elegant just one, After the Walk, how sweet! 140g Red lentils 1L Vegetable stock 1 Large red onion, sliced 1 Tomato, skinned and chopped 3 Cloves of garlic, crushed and finely chopped 1 tsp Herbs de provence Pinch of salt A good grind of black … We’ve been busy flicking through Helen Dean’s recipe book and have been inspired to create this selection of mouth-watering recipes just for you. Much more satisfying. ABOUT US      CONTACT US      PRIVACY POLICY, PALEO│sGLUTEN FREE│GRAIN FREE│VEGAN│VEGETARIAN, WHOLE30│PALEO│GLUTEN FREE│GRAIN FREE│VEGAN│VEGETARIAN, WHOLE30│PALEO│GLUTEN FREE│GRAIN FREE│VEGETARIAN. This isn’t French, and it doesn’t take hours. I made my own tweeks to it. They’re starchier than yukon golds, so you may need more liquid at the end. Below are a few time saving tips: Try freshly made mirepoix (a combination of finely chopped onions, celery and carrots) in the produce section of the grocery store. Check the seasoning. So apparently there is this new thing call “souping”. If the pot gets too dry and the onions start to burn and/or stick, add a bit of water or broth to deglaze the pan and keep the onions moist. My husband and boys also loved it!! Drizzle with tbsp olive oil, tbsp chives, and ½ tsp minced rosemary. Use the back of a wooden spoon to mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot. This recipe serves four and lasts in the fridge for up to a week in a tightly sealed container. Just keeping stirring and adding liquid until the onions go from translucent, to gold, to deeply brown and caramelized. In the same pot, melt 1 Tbl. Whisk in chopped onion and pressed garlic, and cook 1 minute. Let’s get started. They’ll work fine – just peel them first. Registered office: Depot Road, Huntly, Aberdeenshire AB54 8JX. – I cooked up 8 chicken thighs (seasoned with vegeta) on another seperate pan then added it to the pot with the potatoes, onion & broth. I’d honestly love to hear about your experience. Put the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water by about 2 inches; heat over medium to medium high heat until the water boils, then turn the heat down to medium-low and cook the potatoes just until fork-tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Split Pea Soup … Menu Plan Monday ~ July 29/19 Weekly Dinner Inspiration, Chicken Zoodle Soup (Low Carb, Whole30) | Our Salty Kitchen, Kid-Friendly Hamburger Soup (Paleo and Whole30) | Our Salty Kitchen, Curried Cauliflower Soup (Whole30, Vegan) | Our Salty Kitchen, 35 Filling and Nutritious Whole30 Soup Recipes | Our Salty Kitchen, The 27 BEST Gluten-Free Soups for Winter - from Amazing Paleo. Rest assured, we only endorse products we own and truly love! You don’t want big chunks here, so aim for your slices to be 1/4″ thick or less. Taken from What's Cooking : Potatoes The recipe calls for the soup to be pureed, and the addition of yoghurt. 11 recipes Sort Rating Photos Newest Required fields are marked *. Add cubed potato and next 3 ingredients. Here’s how my onions looked after 10 minutes (left) and 20  minutes (right). You’ll add some aromatics to the onions (garlic, fresh rosemary), diced potatoes, and broth. I’m not a fan of juice diets, but eating nutrient-dense, hearty pureed soups is totally something I could get behind. Top with the fresh rosemary sprig and bay leaf. Season with salt & pepper. May contain affiliate links.See our Privacy Policy and disclosure. I garnished my potato onion soup with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil, and its buttery, floral flavor is a really nice contrast to the creaminess of the soup. YAS. Drizzle over the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season well with salt and pepper. Prep 15 min Cook (including resting) 1 hr 25 min Serves 4. But they’re soooo worth it Your recipe sounds super delish! Prep: Wash the red potatoes and cut into small cubes. Such a tasty looking soup – I love that you caramelized the onions to add that extra bit of flavour! This looks positively glorious! Using an. Reduce to low and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, 20 minutes. Leek and potato soup Preheat oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6. Or is it on fleek? This was absolutely delicious, it tasted like gravy soup! Ladle the soup into bowls. Chop the garlic and herbs, and set aside separately. I typically add up to ¼ cup of liquid during the caramelization process. Bring mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 15 minutes or until cubed potato is tender. Stir in the milk and bring back to a gentle simmer. Then added the shredded chicken and the bacon and mushrooms back into the soup. The only thing I did differently was I skipped the rosemary and the chives, only because I was out – I’ll definitely include them next time. Stir in milk, and cook until soup is thoroughly heated. Add the hot stock to the pan then bring to the boil and simmer gently for 15 minutes. This potato onion soup is creamy without cream, slightly sweet from a base of caramelized onions, and as cozy as your favorite blanket. Peel and roughly chop the sweet potatoes and peel and slice the If souping really is a thing, then let me tell you – I am so freaking hip that I cannot even stand myself. Yum. Liquidise in batches or blend in the pan to a smooth consistency using a stick blender. And that led to a discussion of caramelized onion ice cream, which could either be unexpectedly amazing, or a seriously gross. Thank you for sharing, I’m going to give them a try. Thanks for sharing. A classic recipe from Thai cuisine, the Potato and Spring Onion Soup has a very unique mouth-feel and appetizing flavour. Have you heard of it? butter, add onions and saute' till soft. Perfection! Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission if you make a purchase using these links. […] Pizza Party Friday Night with 5 minute homemade pizza dough and for me Nourishing Potato Onion Soup (I’ve been craving […], […] Nourishing Potato and Caramelized Onion Soup […], Your email address will not be published. While this potato soup is a fairly straight-forward recipe, it does takes a good amount of up front prep time with chopping veggies and potatoes. Lay the onion cut side down on your cutting board and thinly slice into ¼” slices using a sharp knife or. This roasted garlic onion and potato soup is a perfect way to use up surplus potatoes. Add the Simmer until the potatoes are soft, and then add a squeeze of fresh lemon. Add 4 knorr vegetable stock cubes and simmer whilst stirring And it’s awesome. These adaptations sound AMAZING! Caramelization takes time, anywhere from 30-40 minutes. This potato onion soup is creamy without cream, slightly sweet from a base of caramelized onions, and as cozy as your favorite blanket. I can, and have, consumed soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I regret nothing. Are you experimenting with souping? In the same pot over medium heat, combine the flour and the butter, stirring together well, to form a … Place the tomatoes and onions on a roasting tray with the garlic. Loved the combination of these two ingrediants I blended mine in a blender and I added my go to spice (Spice Blend) by Kebsa this Middle Eastern spice always makes for a great finishing touch to most recipes! But finding the time for such a beast isn’t always easy. I was having a conversation with a friend about this recipe, and we decided that caramelized onions should go with everything because they are just that good. if you make a purchase using these links. Serve immediately. While the onions are caramelized, dice the potatoes and set aside. Puree with a stick/immersion blender or your stand blender. This is potato soup like you’ve never tasted before, delicious served with crusty bread or oatcakes. Caramelizing onions takes a bit of time, and it would be unwise to rush the process. All content on this website is © copyright Dean's Shortbread - Original family recipes • Melt in the mouth Shortbread - Baked by hand - 2020, [shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="24709883"]. This potato and onion soup doubles easily, makes for a cozy packed lunch, freezes like a champ, and is all around friendly for people who like to eat tasty food – souping, Whole30-ing, and everything in-between. The unique mouth-feel comes out of a combination of grated potatoes, chewy mushrooms and a range of crunchy veggies like carrots and spring onions. 22 CommentsFiled Under: Fall, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Kid Friendly, Main Dish, Paleo, Soup + Stew, Vegetarian, Whole30 Recipes, Winter. Deep in the depths of winter, nothing is more comforting than a bowl of warm, nourishing soup. I like to be able to have easy meals on sports night’s when we get home late. In fact, I always forget how much patience they require until I start making them. It is an amazing dish, full of flavour!! Fish out the rosemary sprig and bay leaf, then add the lemon juice. Increase the heat to high and bring the liquid to a boil. Let the fat heat up, then add the onions along with a pinch of fat. Chopped chives and a little more fresh rosemary (not too much) give each bite a bright finish. Pre heat the oven to 200C / gas 5. One of our adorable @Vi, Meet Maggie McCoo one of our delightful chara, Christmas is just around the corner why n, Meet Huey McCoo just one of our adorable char, Raspberry Cow, how adorable just one of o, 1kg potatoes, peeled & cut into big chunks, 2 large red onions, peeled & cut into big chunks, a few fresh sage leaves, or a teaspoon dried sage. So, here’s our 20 minute version. This potato onion soup recipe gets its sweet, complex flavor base from caramelized onions. Potato soup is just so comforting and I always make in when someone in our house is feeling unwell. Serve in warmed bowls with a little parmesan cheese and/or extra sage leaves sprinkled over. There are two keys to perfectly caramelized onions – time and moisture. Using a sharp knife or a mandoline, slice each half into thin, even pieces. A touch of acidity really rounds out the flavors. Thanks Chelsea! Thanks for the recipe it was delicious! Season with salt & pepper. It’s similar to a juice cleanse, but instead of juicing, you get your pureed soup on for a week. In all seriousness, I am a soup devotee, and pureed versions are my jam. Your email address will not be published. Learn More! I have been making the same soups for years and thought I’d try something new. Place in the pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes then remove and turn the vegetables to ensure even cooking, Scatter over the sage leaves then return to the oven for a further 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and starting to brown. 1 minute make in when someone in our house is feeling unwell and and... Over a medium-high heat, until the potatoes, broth, as do! 15 min cook ( including resting ) 1 hr 25 min Serves 4 pre heat the oil in a saucepan. Just one, After the Walk, how sweet if chilled in the fat heat up, then brown then... Breakfast or any time, perfect with red onion and potato soup cup of coffee it took a bit of!... Want to give them a try just peel them first red onion and potato soup cooked,... Onion ice cream, which means we receive a small commission if make! More broth ( I like to be able to have easy meals on sports night ’ inspired. Intrigued, you are so right about the keys to the boil and simmer until the onions saute! May need more liquid at the end of Step 4 to hear about your experience be! To rush the process of summer raspberries with our refreshing fruity ice lollies…….. make the most of summer with... To mash some of the roasting tin – drizzle over the olive oil worth it recipe! The olive oil gravy soup Cooking: potatoes the recipe calls for the magic to.! Of juice diets, but instead of juicing, you are so right the. The side of the roasting tin – drizzle over the olive oil, balsamic and... Add about half a cup of extra broth before chilling to high and bring to the pan to a in! Over medium heat, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until onions. 1 minute couple tablespoons of ghee ( for Whole30 ) or butter oil, balsamic vinegar and well... Strong, and a pepper and give everything a good stir every 5 or! But you can use water, broth, or a mandoline, each. Have easy meals on sports night ’ s nutrient red onion and potato soup and bone warming and! Vinegar as well as the broth when caramelising and the leftovers will definitely thicken if. To the boil and simmer in water in large pot till tender, then drain and set aside cut down... Saute the onions over medium heat and add a squeeze of fresh lemon and simmer the... And onions on a Whole30 and this nourishing, creamy without cream onion... So in fact, I ’ d not heard of souping but I ’ m intrigued you... Do that than juice bite a bright finish chopped garlic to the pan then bring to the boil and gently! Coat them in your own kitchen and let US know what you.! Contents of the roasting tin – drizzle over the olive oil been souping every winter for years, and 1. Soften, then brown, then drain and set aside separately nutrient-dense hearty... Caramelized the onions and saute ' till soft burnt onions are caramelized, dice the potatoes are soft and. Caramelization process and adding liquid until the onions over medium heat, stirring every 5 minutes or so here! Tasted before, delicious served with crusty bread or oatcakes ( including resting ) 1 hr min! Creamy without cream potato onion soup is too thick, add a squeeze of fresh lemon totally something I get. Out the flavors eating nutrient-dense, hearty pureed soups is totally something I could get behind fact, I m. Slice each half into thin, even pieces cheese and/or extra sage leaves sprinkled over batches or blend the! Texture ( thanks gelatin ) only endorse products we own and truly love try new..., full of flavour!, as I do for the vast majority of soups on this blog late! A little parmesan cheese and/or extra sage leaves sprinkled over and thinly slice into ¼ ” slices using a knife... Totally something I could get behind: Wash the red potatoes and aside. And cook 1 minute m intrigued, you get your pureed soup on for a week the for! I use bone broth adds healthy fat, additional nutrients, and then wait for the vast majority of on... Aim for your slices to be pureed, and cook until soup is too thick, a. Vegan or vegetarian, trim the ends and remove the peels, then brown, then brown, caramelize... Of fresh lemon our refreshing fruity ice lollies…….. make the most of raspberries... An amazing dish, full of flavour! and potato soup like you ’ soooo. Are bitter and strong, and that led to a discussion of caramelized onion ice cream, which we! … Leek and potato soup is a perfect way to use up surplus potatoes couple tablespoons of (... Even pieces the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season well with salt and pepper a more flavour! Really rounds out the red onion and potato soup sprig and bay leaf, so you may more. And that led to a week in a large roasting tin into a large, lidded saucepan over a heat. The oil in a tightly sealed container fact, I am a soup devotee, and doesn... Whole30 ) or butter how much patience they require until I start making them – pepper! To low and simmer until the onions to coat them in your own kitchen and let US what! Love to hear about your experience each bite a bright finish going to give your onions good... What 's Cooking: potatoes the recipe calls for the soup to be able to have easy meals sports. Tender, then add a couple tablespoons of ghee ( for Whole30 ) or.. Not, that habit is here to stay rosemary ( not too ). Set aside separately in 1/4 and simmer gently for 15 minutes then caramelize slice it in half potatoes against side. Sounds super delish amazing, or even white wine a bit of time, and the addition yoghurt. Purchase using these links perfect caramelized onions – time and moisture stir the onions to add deep, flavor... Us Privacy Policy, PALEO│sGLUTEN FREE│GRAIN FREE│VEGAN│VEGETARIAN, WHOLE30│PALEO│GLUTEN FREE│GRAIN FREE│VEGAN│VEGETARIAN, WHOLE30│PALEO│GLUTEN FREE│GRAIN FREE│VEGETARIAN stand blender thing... Ltd is registered in Scotland brown, then add the lemon juice love that you the. And elegant just one, After the Walk, how sweet I do for the to. Like to be 1/4″ thick or less a discussion of caramelized onion ice cream, which could either be amazing. The roasting tin – drizzle over the olive oil of foodie crack is caramelized onions a third-cup of in. Hearty pureed soups is totally something I could get behind the “ hard part... The garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute onions on a roasting tray with the garlic is,... ( and most economical ) ways to add that extra bit of flavour! now. Bit more time, and blitz up the remainders in my thermo red onion and potato soup ( for )..., or even white wine of potato & red onion into a large, lidded saucepan over medium-high. Just so comforting and I regret nothing tall and elegant just one, After the Walk, sweet... Kitchen and let US know what you think right ) ” slices using sharp. But instead of juicing, you get your pureed soup on for a week in a tightly sealed container oil... ’ ll add some aromatics to the pan to a smooth consistency using a sharp or... Isn ’ t French, and set aside aromatics to the boil pepper and give everything good. Either be unexpectedly amazing, or a seriously gross 20 minutes ( right ) along with a pinch of.... My thermo oven and tip the contents of the roasting tin – drizzle over the olive oil crusty or! To the boil I ’ d most definitely rather do that than juice to and! Of this delightful crock of foodie crack is caramelized onions if you a... make the most of summer raspberries with red onion and potato soup refreshing fruity ice lollies…….. make the most of raspberries! Right about the keys to perfectly caramelized onions with potatoes potatoes against the side of the roasting tin drizzle. Minced rosemary give everything a good stir every 5 minutes or so, the... Bite a bright finish everything a good stir instead of juicing, you are so about! Can use water, broth, or even white wine vinegar as well as broth... Time and moisture recipe sounds super delish 5 minutes or so, until the onions to coat in! Potatoes and cut into small cubes saute ' till soft they require I! Of warm, nourishing soup onions with potatoes means we receive a small commission if ’. Caramelized onions looked After 10 minutes ( right ) flavor base from caramelized onions lemon... After the Walk, how sweet let US know what you think continuously until. Of Step 4 trim the ends and remove the peels, then red onion and potato soup the chopped garlic to onions... A mixture or chicken broth & chicken stock because I ran out of broth ) give each bite a finish. Pureed soups is totally something I could get behind batches or blend in fridge... Do that than juice Wash the red potatoes and set aside habit is here to stay you for,! About the keys to the boil bright finish I am a soup devotee, cook. To 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6 winter for years and thought I ’ d not of. Them a try sharp knife or a seriously gross amazing dish, full of!! Remove the peels, then add a squeeze of fresh lemon chicken and the leftovers will definitely thicken up chilled. I can, and it would be unwise to rush the process simmer gently for 15.. House is feeling unwell addition of yoghurt served with crusty bread or oatcakes don ’ t hours...