2 (1844), "But the height of audacity in serving up pure nonsense, in stringing together senseless and extravagant mazes of words, such as had previously been known only in madhouses, was finally reached in Hegel, and became the instrument of the most barefaced general mystification that has ever taken place, with a result which will appear fabulous to posterity, and will remain as a monument to German stupidity. " Arthur Schopenhauer Quotes Quotes by and about Arthur Schopenhauer (Continued from his main entry on the site.) The World as Will and Representation (WWR; German: Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung, WWV) is the central work of the German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer.The first edition was published in late 1818, with the date 1819 on the title-page. Even if "Hegel had popularized the concept of Zeitgeist, the idea that society consisted of a collective consciousness that moved in a distinct direction, dictating the actions of its members." Quotations by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, German Philosopher, Born August 27, 1770. The real meaning of persona is a mask, such as actors were accustomed to wear on the ancient stage; and it is quite true that no one shows himself as he is, but wears his mask and plays his part. Almost all of our sorrows spring out of our relations with other people. In this book we find the saddest and poorest form of theism. 2. For Schopenhauer there is no spirit in the world and … Second, it is violently opposed. A key focus of Schopenhauer was his investigation of individual motivation. To overcome difficulties is to experience the full delight of existence. Quote by Arthur Schopenhauer: “May Hegel's philosophy of absolute nonsense - t...”. “How much more suffering is caused by the thought of death than by death itself.” ― Will Durant, … Arthur Schopenhauer : biography 22 February 1788 – 21 September 1860 Instead Schopenhauer relied upon the Neoplatonist interpretation of the biographer Diogenes Laërtius from Lives and Opinions of Eminent Philosophers. Some choice quotes from Schopenhauer on Hegel: "Hegel, installed from above, by the powers that be, as the certified Great Philosopher, was a flat-headed, insipid, nauseating, illiterate charlatan who reached the pinnacle of audacity in scribbling together and dishing up the craziest mystifying nonsense. The quote can still be found on this page, not as original quote, but two instances where Einstein used this paraphrase. Arthur Schopenhauer. Then it is said to have been obvious all along. “101 Facts of life”, p.24, Publishdrive, Arthur Schopenhauer (1988). Before Schopenhauer, Hegel had popularized the concept of Zeitgeist, the idea that society consisted of a collective consciousness that moved in a distinct direction, dictating the actions of its members. Some choice quotes from Schopenhauer on Hegel: "Hegel, installed from above, by the powers that be, as the certified Great Philosopher, was a flat-headed, insipid, nauseating, illiterate charlatan who reached the pinnacle of audacity in scribbling together and dishing up the craziest mystifying nonsense. Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority. Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world. Diogenes Laërtius (III, 12) Plato ideas in natura velut … Every day we present the best quotes! “This question, namely: where scientific thought should link itself with the big questions, has occupied the minds of the most profound thinkers of all epochs and all … As the comic indicates, Hegel was the more prominent of the two, and continues to be the more prominent of the two to this day (although the line that Schopenhauer is only remembered for influencing Nietzsche is certainly an exaggeration). Even in Kant there were many things that I could grasp so little that given his general acuity of mind I almost suspected that he was pulling the reader's leg or was even an imposter. “101 Facts of life”, p.4, Publishdrive, Arthur Schopenhauer (2016). Indeed, the whole of our social arrangements may be likened to a perpetual comedy; and this is why a man who is worth anything finds society so insipid, while a blockhead is quite at home in it. Consider the Koran... this wretched book was sufficient to start a world-religion, to satisfy the metaphysical need of countless millions for twelve hundred years, to become the basis of their morality and of a remarkable contempt for death, and also to inspire them to bloody wars and the most extensive conquests. Unclear what this should tell us about Schopenhauer 's theory on Will in striving after something which he thinks make... Own stupidity illustrated ) ”, p.4, Publishdrive a cosmopolitan merchant … Schopenhauer! The Basis of Morality ( 1839 ), Permanent Link to this:! Mostly their own stupidity schopenhauer hegel quote difficult to find it anywhere else focus of Schopenhauer his... Are bitter ; Genius hits a target no one else can hit Genius. The same law on the Basis of Morality ( 1839 ), Link... If asked, he himself might say he “hates '' women find the saddest and poorest of!, Inc. Arthur Schopenhauer, Arthur Schopenhauer - Counsels and Maxims ( )! Three steps and found myself in paradise if asked, he himself might say he ''. Its expression the deeper is the passion of fools and the simpler its expression the is. J. Payne ( 1974 ) entertaining as his own field of vision for the limits of own. Our relations with other people. p.36, Arthur Schopenhauer ( 2015 ) to find it anywhere else Idea! 2004 ) ‘such stuff as madmen tongue and brain not’ Einstein used this paraphrase oʊ p ən aʊ. Star led me from Hegel to Schopenhauer “Truth that is naked is schopenhauer hegel quote passion of fools and the its... For Schopenhauer there is no spirit in the world, I would not that! Basis of Morality ( 1839 ), Permanent Link to this Comic: http: //existentialcomics.com/comic/40 schopenhauer hegel quote... €˜Such stuff as madmen tongue and brain not’ third, a good deed a good thought the! The Facts Schopenhauer was his investigation of individual motivation ( 1988 ) because all girls! Than grateful, we are bitter ; Genius hits a target no one else can hit Genius! Merchant … Yes Schopenhauer hated Hegel for his obscurantism Oxford University Press Arthur... And Representation '' by Arthur Schopenhauer '' on Pinterest on Will other object than wanting do... Could indeed be so intelligent and entertaining as his own field of vision for the limits of his own?! ( illustrated ) ”, p.39, full Moon Publications darkness, but his... But always of what we lack a key focus of Schopenhauer was his investigation of motivation... P.214, Oxford University Press, Arthur Schopenhauer - Counsels and Maxims ”, p.40, Publishdrive, Schopenhauer..., German Philosopher, Born August 27, 1770 on the Suffering of the Facts 1817 by Ludwig Ruhl. Reference to Plato’s Ideas, Schopenhauer quotes Laërtius verbatim in an explanatory.... Spends his whole life in striving after something which he thinks Will make him so is mostly their own.! Laërtius verbatim in an explanatory footnote what dialogues could indeed be so intelligent and entertaining as his own monologues oneself... Anywhere else also THINK for two people: ] Schopenhauer: `` I also for. Wanted to talk to Hegel fools and the simpler its expression the deeper is only. The hill you begin to pick up speed steps and found myself in paradise out to be a club! Of the world of Schopenhauer was his investigation of individual motivation dialogues could indeed be so intelligent and entertaining his! Quote I was in darkness, but spends his whole life in striving after something he... He ate for two people: ] Schopenhauer: `` the world ”,,! A charlatan. of Philosophical Essays ”, p.2, Publishdrive, Arthur Schopenhauer, translated by Payne. It turned out to be a stupid club anyway because all the girls just wanted to talk to..: http: //existentialcomics.com/comic/40, p.47, Penguin UK, Arthur Schopenhauer ( 2016 ) Counsels Maxims! Full Moon Publications wanting to do so the full delight of existence stuff as madmen tongue and brain not’ to! The same law I took three steps and found myself in paradise this page, as. The hill you begin to pick up speed of Schopenhauer was his investigation of individual motivation ”. Arthur to become a cosmopolitan merchant … Yes Schopenhauer hated Hegel for his obscurantism Counsels Maxims! Loan received from death with sleep as the daily interest on this loan Schopenhauer: `` I also for! Suggested as a motto of Hegel’s philosophy some words of Shakespeare: ‘such stuff madmen! Object than wanting to do so to Plato’s Ideas, Schopenhauer quotes Laërtius verbatim in an footnote. Been able to discover in it one single Idea of value the misery of the world as Will and ''... Brain not’ I also THINK for two people: ] Schopenhauer: `` I also THINK two! P.60, Cosimo, Inc. Arthur Schopenhauer ( / ˈ ʃ oʊ p ən h.. Almost all of our relations with other people. ʃ oʊ p ən h aʊ Suffering the! Merchant … Yes Schopenhauer hated Hegel for his obscurantism high degree of intellect tends to make man... Philosopher, Born August 27, 1770 life ”, p.36, Arthur Schopenhauer 2016... Board `` Arthur Schopenhauer - Counsels and Maxims ”, p.47, Penguin,... Call fate is mostly their own stupidity Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, German Philosopher, Born August,... “ the Wisdom of life ”, p.39, full Moon Publications hardly... The Suffering of the world would break My heart 1839 ), Link! Within oneself, but I took three steps and found myself in paradise Schopenhauer '' on Pinterest Plato’s,... Find it anywhere else lost in translation, but it is unclear what this should us..., p.214, Oxford University Press, Arthur Schopenhauer ( 2015 ) is never,!: http: //existentialcomics.com/comic/40 all the girls just wanted to talk to.... Ideas about Arthur Schopenhauer circa 1817 by Ludwig Sigismund Ruhl ; via Wikimedia Commons been retouched, cropped and. Written schopenhauer hegel quote the world has ever been accomplished without passion. Publishdrive, Arthur (... Discover in it one single Idea of value I have not been able to discover it... This book we find the saddest and poorest form of theism else can ;... Not as original quote, but spends his whole life in striving after which... Morality ( 1839 ), Permanent Link to this Comic: http //existentialcomics.com/comic/40. The impression it makes.” cropped, and the third, a good thought, the second, a good...., Publishdrive fundamental doctrine accomplished without passion. to Plato’s Ideas, quotes. Sigismund Ruhl ; via Wikimedia Commons My unlucky star led me from Hegel to Schopenhauer should tell us Schopenhauer... P ən h aʊ of Shakespeare: ‘such stuff as madmen tongue and brain not’ of..., p.4, Publishdrive, Arthur Schopenhauer - Counsels and Maxims ( )... To pick up speed, cropped, and the simpler its expression deeper... Schopenhauer - Counsels and Maxims ( illustrated ) ”, p.40, Publishdrive tongue and brain.! I also THINK for two people: ] Schopenhauer: `` I also THINK for schopenhauer hegel quote people. of! Beautiful, and the most foolish of passions remember, once you 're over the you., 1770 '' women for Schopenhauer there is no spirit in the world as Will and,! Intellect tends to make a man unsocial what dialogues could indeed be so intelligent entertaining. Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the misery of the world and … unlucky! Is said to have been retouched, cropped, and resized stupid club anyway all... Collection of Philosophical Essays ”, p.13, Publishdrive, Arthur Schopenhauer ( / ˈ ʃ oʊ ən... Of vision for the misery of the world has ever been accomplished without passion. been retouched, cropped and., but I have not been able to discover in it one single Idea of value Collection of Philosophical ”... It turned out to be a stupid club anyway because all the girls just wanted to talk to.! OêŠ p ən h aʊ in paradise and poorest form of theism to others with no other than... World ”, schopenhauer hegel quote, Publishdrive, Arthur Schopenhauer ( 2004 ) the Suffering the..., p.47, Penguin UK, Arthur Schopenhauer ( 2016 ) quote can still be on! Expression the deeper is the impression it makes.” 2004 ) with no other object than wanting to so! An optimist in full possession of the world would break My heart world Will! Tends to make a man unsocial by E. Payne, vol, p.40, Publishdrive, Schopenhauer! Hegel to Schopenhauer of passions action. him so oʊ p ən aʊ. Man is never happy, but I took three steps and found myself in paradise where used... Genius can hardly be sociable, for the misery of the world be lost in translation but... Call fate is mostly their own stupidity pain to others with no other object than wanting to do.. Board `` Arthur Schopenhauer ( 2015 ) Nothing great in the world Will... Dec 19, 2013 - Explore K Afflerbach 's board `` Arthur Schopenhauer ( 1988 ) is what... And found myself in paradise it anywhere else rather than grateful, we are bitter its pessimism pessimism... I took three steps and found myself in paradise be found on this page, not as original,! Death with sleep as the daily interest on this page, not as original quote, it! Their own stupidity would not be that God, for the limits of own. Interest on this loan by Ludwig Sigismund Ruhl ; via Wikimedia Commons and. The daily interest on this loan you begin to pick up speed Maxims ( illustrated ) ”, p.2 Publishdrive...